OTHER USES OF ZEOLITE
Zeolite is widely used in many other industries except agricaltural and animal husbandry.
Here are some of those uses
One of the most common daily use of zeolite is in softening systems (ion exchange filters) and in water filtration. In ion exchange filters, the zeolite bind calcium and magnesium ions and releasing sodium ions, so the water becomes softer and more rich in sodium.
The addition of natural zeolite in water, results in the binding of inorganic, organic, organometallic, gases, bacteria, cyanobacteria, metals and radionuclides in a percentage ranging from 20% to 100%. The zeolite enhances the water with oxygen and regulates water's pH to neutral by increasing or decreasing it, depending on the acidity or alkalinity of the
Other common uses of zeolites is to capture odors from pet wastes, like cat litter for pets and water filters in aquariums. Zeolites, because of its crystal structure, helps to entrap undesirable liquids, the various odor molecules and retain the water of undesirable substances.
The use of natural zeolites in wastewater treatment is one of the oldest and the most promising applications. The presence of heavy metals (Zn, Cr, Pb, Cd, Cu, Mn, Fe, etc.) in liquid wastes is a major environmental problem and their removal by the use of natural zeolites have been extensively studied in combination with other methods, such as chemical precipitation, ion exchange, adsorption, flocculation, flotation and other electrochemically various methods. Various natural zeolites worldwide have shown good ion exchange capacity, such as ammonium ions and heavy metals.
|OTHER USES OF ZEOLITE|
|Solar Energy Storage|
REMOVAL OF HEAVY METALS & RADIOACTIVE FROM THE SOIL
After studies found that zeolites are highly effective in the removal of radioactive waste and to purify soil which is contaminated by toxic heavy metals. They are used in separation of harmful organic substances from water, and the removal of ions of heavy metals which produced by nuclear fission, by water.
Typical example is the Fukushima's rice farmers in Japan where after the nuclear disaster of 2011, zeolite were used in their fields, in an effort to trap any radioactive pollutants.
Many more are the uses of zeolites in building sector:
- As building blocks in cement production (substitute pozzolan).
- In the manufacture of compressed boards, as a filler.
- In the manufacture of light high strength bricks.
Zeolite can be found in the market in four types depending on the size of the granules and for different uses, such as:
1) In powder for spraying to prevent the hygien of the stable.
2) Granulometry of 0.0-1.0 mm. As feed additive into livestock.
3) Granulometry of 1.0-2.5 mm. In agriculture, to fight malodor, in birds rations, in drinking water filters.
4) Granulometry of 2.5-5.0 mm. For agricultural use, to improve soil fertility, as improver in chemical fertilizers in the rate of 2-5% (slow release), in hydroponics, without excluding the use of the above granulometries, which are most active.
The products are available in big bag packages of 1tn (1.000Kg) & in bags of 25Kg (1 ton / pallet or 40 sacks)